Wednesday, July 20, 2011

20th June 2011 - English Class

We learn about idioms, and watch some short movies.

Idioms
Used as a phrase that has different meaning.

For an example(full sentence); My assignment today was "A piece of cake". It doesn't mean that the cake is one piece, it means the assignment today was very easy.

Idioms i learned,
"Hit the hay"
means:
Going to bed
sentence:
I'm so tired, i think I'm gonna hit the hay.

"A blessing in disguise"
means:
something good that isn't
recognized at first
sentence: 
I think it was a blessing in disguise.

"Please keep me in the loop"
means:
to keep me fully informed
sentence:
If anything happens, please keep me in the loop


"On the ball"
means:
to do a good job
sentence:
The manager is really on the ball.

"Off the wall"
means:
very different
sentence:
Your idea is really off the wall.

"Wet behind the ears"
means:
inexperienced
sentence:
The boy is still young, he is still wet behind the ears.

"An arm and a leg"
means:
very expensive
sentence:
This house cost an arm and a leg.

"Bite your tongue"
means:
to avoid talking
sentence:
Here he comes, bite your tounge.

"Blood is thicker than water"
means:
the family bond is always strong
sentence:
Jim will leave behind everything to help his brother; after all, blood is thicker than water.


"The ball is in your court"
means:
It is your decision to make
sentence:
You are the leader, so the ball is in your court.

"Till the cows come home"
means:
A long time
sentence:
we will wait till the cows come home.

"Use your loaf"
means:
Use your head
sentence:
Are you stupid? use your loaf!

"When pigs fly"
means:
Something that will never ever happen
sentence:
Malaysia footballer will win world cup in the next 10 years. Its like when pigs fly.

"Your guess is as good as mine"
means:
I have no idea
sentence:
i think your guess is as good as mine.

"A picture paints a thousand words"

means:
A picture describes things
much more easily than words do.
sentence:
I cant do any sentence with this. LOL

"Caught red-handed"
means:
Being caught in the act of
committing something wrong
sentence:
The guy was caught red-handed.

"He got his eyes in the back
of his head"

means:
He can sense what's happening
behind and outside of his
field of vision
sentence:
Careful, he got his eyes in the back of his head.

"My lips are sealed"
means:
I will not tell this secret
to anyone
sentence:
I cant tell you, cause my lips are sealed.

"She has got a sweet tooth"
means:
She has a strong liking
for sweet foods
sentence:
she likes candy, she has got a sweet tooth.

"The long arm of the law"
means:
The police
sentence:
they are the long arm of the law.

"He is a wolf in sheep's clothing"
means:
He is a dangerous person
pretending to be harmless
sentence:
Dont be friend with him, he is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

"A little bird told me so"
means:
I am not going to tell you
who gave me the information
sentence:
A:who told you the story?
B:A little bird told me so.

"He drinks like a fish"
means:
He drinks alcohol excessively
sentence:
The guy is drunk, he drinks like a fish/.

"She is like a fish in the water"
means:
She wants to be just
in the comfort zone.
sentence:
I dont know how to create this sentence either.

"Like a fish out of water"
means:
Appearing to be a completely
out of place or
in a very awkward manner
Other meaning which
can be applied is
'taking a huge risk'








No comments:

Post a Comment